YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide data science expertise and develops OR Simulation and/or MIP Optimization solutions to drive research lab process optimization byidentifying new opportunities, expanding existing methods, providinginsights, and building practical applications. Work collaborativelywith interdisciplinary scientists, IT, and engineering professionalsacross the organization.
This position is offered as either a 6-month co-op (Jan-June or June-Dec) or a summer internship (May-August).
The primary responsibilities of this role, Precision Genomics Data Science Co-Op-Intern, are to:
- Independently perform data analyses and apply statistics, computer programming, and OR modeling acumen to unsolved business goals;
- Drive research lab optimization by creating simulation and/or optimization models that enhance the efficiency of labs' capacity planning and scheduling;
- Create and ensure adoption of OR models that drive Crop Science pipeline decisions;
- Integrate solutions into production IT system by partnering with engineering teams and end users to ensure scalability and adoption.
- Form partnerships with cross-functional teams in Bayer (Breeding, Product Supply, IT) to drive unified reporting and optimization of complex workflows that span functions and countries;
- Present compelling, validated stories to all levels of organization, including peers, senior management, and internal customers to drive both strategic and operational changes in business;
- Provide technical contributions leveraging business acumen in a fast-paced team environment to accelerate our efforts on building an analytics-driven product pipeline.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our life values. more specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Pursue a M.S or Ph.D. in Operations Research, Engineering, Management Science, Mathematics, or another related quantitative discipline;
- Experience delivering analytics solutions to complex business problems;
- Theoretical and practical experience in deterministic optimization and algorithm development related to operations management is a requirement, including experience with commercial optimization software (ex. CPLEX or Gurobi) and/or commercial simulation software (eg. AnyLogic);
- Strong in programming, statistical packages, and database languages (ex. Java, R, Python, Scala, SQL and OPL);
- Demonstrate experience in optimizing demand, supply, and network flow challenges related to planning, scheduling, space utilization, and customer service levels;
- Demonstrate problem solving experience analyzing complex data using statistical and advanced analytical methods to deliver predictive and prescriptive insights;
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and written communication skills;
- Ability to work in a matrix environment and influence people at varying levels of responsibility;
- Candidates must demonstrate business aptitude, the ability to rapidly learn new problem domains and become conversant in the domain with business users.