We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It's extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients "Ask for Mary," they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Uses mechanical, technical, physical and communication skills in order to maintain a safe, reliable and comfortable health care environment. Carries out the daily corrective and preventative maintenance functions of the department and stays abreast of current technological issues in order to make the best positive contribution to patient care.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Performs plumbing and pipefitting at a level commensurate with years of experience and in accordance with applicable standards.
- Performs general facility maintenance to maintain the physical, mechanical and environmental integrity of the physical plant and associated equipment.
- Performs basic electrical services under the guidance of a licensed electrician to fulfill the safety and convenience requirements of our customers. Examples would be repairing lighting circuits, troubleshooting motor controls and changing ballast's.
- Maintains HVAC/R systems, chiller(s), air conditioners, cooling towers, power plant, boilers, steam traps, heat exchangers and condensate receivers/pumps from a monitoring and preventive maintenance perspective to continually provide maximum safety and comfort to our customers.
- Responsible for working safely in every situation in order to protect self and others.
- Responsible for proper documentation, carrying out departmental policies and procedures and meeting continuous performance standards.
- Performsupper levelcorrective and preventive maintenance in accordance with the following list to assure the integrity of the plant and equipment, and to provide a safe and comfortable environment for patients, visitors and staff. These items are meant to serve as examples and do not represent an "all inclusive" list of tasks.
- Rebuilds and replaces medical gas outlets.
- Tests, monitors and logs medical gas systems and equipment.
- Performs rough and finish carpentry tasks, fabricates new walls, installs new doors, frames and hardware, constructs cabinets and counters, and does major carpentry repairs.
- Calibrates and maintains pneumatic controls.
- Performs detailed hydraulic stretcher and electric bed repair.
- Repairs and calibrates various electronic monitoring devices.
- Able to weld, solder and braze.
- Repairs and replaces single and polyphase motors up to 480 volts.
- Performs masonry and concrete work.
- Maintains and repairs closed loop water systems for domestic and heating water.
- Troubleshoots and repairs multi-belt fan systems.
- Performs appropriate tests on closed loop water systems and chemically treats same.
- Test, monitor and log emergency generators.
- Test, monitor, log and clean swimming pool.
- Performs preventive maintenance as assigned.
Other Job Responsibilities:
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Receives training and acts as "First Responder" as part of Patient/Staff safety that is covered by various Emergency Preparedness Plans of the organization.
- Assists with hospital-wide security for the protection and well being of our customers.
- Demonstrates effective and pleasant interpersonal relations.
- Participates in personal enhancement and professional growth opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintains individual productivity standards.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years experience in an industrial or commercial setting.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and manufacturer's specifications.
- Ability to requisition the equipment and materials for equipment installations and repairs.
- Basic computer skills to answer email, research on the internet and operate the building automation system.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
Due to the fact that many patients are pediatrics or individuals who have experienced trauma to the brain, Plant Service staff is responsible for the proper care and locking of their tools and tool carts. Nothing should be left in an area, room or corridor where patients can gain access to tools that could be considered dangerous.
- Applicable trade school education and/or experience (i.e. plumbing, masonry, carpentry, painting, electrical work, refrigeration, air conditioning, etc.).
Essential Physical and Mental Requirements - Typical Working Conditions:
- Ability to lift up to 80 pounds.
- Must regularly move freely throughout the facility.
- Vision correctable to 20/40 is necessary, including color and depth perception, reading, close-up work and a peripheral field of vision.
- Overall dexterity is necessary, including handling, grasping, feeling and climbing.
- Correctable hearing equivalent to less than 25% loss is necessary in order to discern various sounds associated with the job that will assure safety of the physical plant, equipment, and occupants.
- Frequently exposed to situations involving public contact, decision-making and a high level of concentration.
- Possible exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious/hazardous materials.
- Possible exposure to high or low temperatures as both inside and outside work indicates.
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.